8/29/10

Eater's Notes - Peanut Butter, Bacon, and Jelly

Three bites to get to the center of a PBBJ
In a completely serendipitous series of events this week in my day job -- high school English teacher -- a rather freewheeling discussion among my 10th grade honors students produced a culinary innovation: The Peanut Butter, Bacon, and Jelly Sandwich.


Much of what I've been talking about with my students this week is the writing process -- that is, the possible ways in which one moves from idea to draft to revision to final product.  One of the concepts that we cover in the discussion of drafting is to "Kill the Censor," to avoid ruling out any idea as unacceptable, unworthy, or unpalatable for the reader's consumption.  The openness to suggestions has always been the key concept in what is awkwardly known as brainstorming (my apologies to The Imagination Movers).  In an attempt to illustrate killing the censor, I offered up some unusual sandwich combinations -- peanut butter, bacon, and jelly being one of them.  My students will tell you, by the way, I speak often and speak fondly of sandwiches.


Later in the week, after I had finished my lunch and was leaving the dining hall, two of my students came rushing up.  Preston -- for the sake of the story, let's call him "Preston" --  and Andrew, let's call him "Snake Eyes" -- claimed that they had done the empirical research into the theory of the PBBJ and had reached encouraging culinary results. Inspired by their example, I rushed to the sandwich station and got to work.


Two slices of white bread, a tablespoon on smooth peanut butter, and a tablespoon of apple jelly -- NOT GRAPE -- provided the foundation for a generous layer of REAL bacon bits from the salad bar. The apple jelly and bacon were highly complementary, and the saltiness of the bacon and the generally savory character of peanut butter really worked as well.  We will have to procure bacon strips for further experimentation. 


I can suggest a couple of websites if you're interested in extreme foods or eating, or just bacon in general.


Allow me to encourage comments on the most interesting, odd, but delicious sandwich ingredient combinations.


PN Feedburner - PN iTunes - PN Twitter - PN Facebook - PN Video


No comments: