1/9/07

Straight, No Chaser featured at AAJ

My radio partner Ed Blanco and I were grateful to see that our new music show, "Straight, No Chaser" was a news item on the AllAboutJazz.com website today. Ed, of course, is a writer for AAJ, so we have an inside track -- but I'm impressed nevertheless. Ed and I have been working since the last membership drive at WDNA to put together what we think will be a worthwhile listening experience.

Ed and I agree that jazz is in a very good place these days, but that, unfortunately, there's still so much music coming out in a given year -- 1000 releases or more -- that few people have time to listen to everything. We don't either, but as critics, hopefully, we can wade through the bad stuff more quickly and keep an ear open for up-and-coming or overlooked artists on small or independent labels, outside of major media markets, or even outside the country.

At any rate, we hope you'll tune in to Straight, No Chaser on Saturday, January 13 at 8:00 am. I'll be on the air for Early Jazz Weekend Session as usual this weekend.


Passing Notes this Friday (10:06 am and 7:06 pm) is a review of the book The Future of Music and some loose comments on the recently announced iPhone.

In other news, I'll be filling in at 88 Jazz Place on Thursday afternoon from 4 to 7. On Monday, MLK Day, I'll be covering the morning spot -- Frank Consola's show -- from 7 to 11.

That's all for now. I need to get my sleep and rest up for the end of the week!

No comments: