6/12/11

Eater's Notes - Cuban Sandwich Show

Having lived for the better part of two decades in either Tampa Bay or South Florida, I have become a fan of the Cuban sandwich -- one of the essential sandwiches -- which is made on Cuban bread with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard, and then pressed for a flat, toasty-melted finish. I've eaten my share of Cuban sandwiches here in Miami, but I have to say that the best I've had have always come from Tampa.  From what I understand, in fact, the sandwich was "invented" in the old Tampa neighborhood Ybor City.  
     My pulse quickened -- although my heart shuddered for fear of cholesterol -- when I saw the headline for something called the Cuban Sandwich Show.  Was this a contest?  A tribute?  A celebration of one of the finest sandwiches of all time.  Actually, it's an art show held in Tampa in June under the sponsorship of the Artists and Writers Group.  Their slogan: "All Art-All Tampa-No Mayo."  If you're in Tampa this month, check it out.  And while you're there, head to The Floridian for a Cuban.  It's true - they're the finest.
     I'll just have to keep working on that idea for a true Cuban sandwich festival and exhibition.


PN Feedburner | PN iTunes | PN Twitter | PN Facebook | PN Video | PN Goodreads | PN Tumblr



No comments: